Word Prediction Software
Word prediction technology is used to assist with text entry. Word prediction software assists with reducing the number of required keystrokes, by predicting the word you are typing and the next word based on word frequency and context. They may also include features such as spell checking as you type, speech synthesis, and short cuts for frequently used words. Word prediction is particularly helpful if you type slowly or if you have difficulty with spelling or finding the appropriate words to use.
Want to learn more about word prediction software? Ottawa Network for Education created videos for students who are interested in learning about or starting to use technologies for reading, writing and other school work. To learn more about word prediction software, visit Ottawa Network for Education's website to watch a video titled ‘AT Tools for Writing’ and 'Tools for Writing and Editing.'
Points to Ponder
Questions to consider when choosing word prediction software
- Is it compatible with the user’s operation system?
- Does it learn new words automatically?
- Is the word choice arrangement in alphabetical order or statistically weighted?
- Does it predict both words and phrases?
- Does it predict by grammar and usage?
- Does it automatically capitalize the first word in the sentence?
- Can dictionary entries be altered to support alternate international spelling?
- Does it speak finished text?
- Does the user need access to multiple computer systems with word prediction available on it? If so, consider whether the word prediction software is available on a USB key.
- Are you able to customize the word prediction display for font style, size, colour foreground, background, etc.
- What languages does it support?
Manufacturers of Word Prediction Software
SNOW does not endorse any of the following software/hardware. These links are provided for information purposes only.
Applied Human Factors, Inc – SoothSayer Word Prediction (Windows)
Claro Software – ClaroRead (Windows and Mac)
Crick Software Inc. – WriteOnline (Windows and Mac)
Don Johnston Inc. – Co:Writer, Co:Writer University Edition (Windows and Mac)
Kurzweil Educational Systems – Kurzweil 3000 (Windows and Mac)
Quillsoft Ltd. – WordQ (Windows and Mac)
Penfriend Ltd.– Penfriend XP, Penfriend XL, Penfriend W3, Penfriend Portable,
Sumit Software – Typing Assistant (Windows)
TextHelp Systems – Read & Write (Windows and Mac)
WordLogic Corporation – WordLogic (Windows)
Free / Open Source Software
If Word Prediction Can Help, Which Program Do You Choose? by Jamie Klund, MS, OTR, Sun Prairie Public Schools